Unmissable events in the mountains
Winter sports resorts are often the scene of spectacular events that offer tourists and holidaymakers unique and memorable experiences. These major events can take various forms, such as world championships, winter sports competitions, internationally recognized festivals or unusual events.
For you, we have unearthed and listed the flagship events that take place in the most popular French ski resorts.
The arrival of the famous Tomorrowland festival at Alpe D’Huez
As every year since 2020, the renowned Belgian electro festival settles in Alpe d’Huez. Participants can look forward to an unforgettable ski trip. Tomorrowland is world-renowned for its breathtaking scenery, spectacular fireworks and magical atmosphere. For the occasion, a wide variety of musical genres is represented, offering an experience that is both diverse and unique. The majestic scenery of the French Alps and the resort of Alpe d’Huez promise an electric atmosphere! The festival unfolds throughout the area, with several stages, including one located at the foot of the slopes to allow skiers to go directly from their day of skiing to a festive atmosphere. The best DJs in the world will also be present.
During this period, the ski area will be exclusively reserved for Tomorrowland Winter festival pass holders. This is the perfect opportunity to enjoy the slopes without the usual crowds and in a more festive atmosphere. You can choose between a 4-day pass and a 7-day pass, both including access to the Tomorrowland Winter festival, accommodation, lift pass and access to the ski slopes.
World Winter Sports Competitions
The French mountains are the ideal playground for many lovers of board sports. Many ski resorts organize or host world-famous competitions. Here are some of them.
The Critérium de la Première Neige in Val d’Isère
To start the ski season off right, what could be better than an FIS (International Ski Federation) Alpine Skiing World Cup for men and women? At the beginning of December, find Giant, Slalom, Super G and Downhill events at the Val d’Isère ski resort.
The Skicross World Cup in Val Thorens
In the first week of December, Val Thorens organizes the Ski Cross World Cup events. Spectators will be able to cheer on the many international athletes who come to compete in this competition. So, if you want to be part of the next edition, consider booking your stay in one of our establishments in Val Thorens.
The French Elite Skating Championship in Vaujany
If you like figure skating, then head to Vaujany, a small ski resort connected by the ski slopes to Alpe d’Huez. This event usually takes place in December and is followed by the International Gala of Ice Stars.
The VR (Vertical Race) France Ski Mountaineering Championships in Méribel (Savoie)
Every year, Méribel hosts the VR ski mountaineering France championships. Something to delight lovers of vertical race.
The Women’s Alpine Ski World Cup in Courchevel
The station has made this event a “classic” thanks to the quality of its organization. The events include a Giant and a Slalom and are entirely reserved for women.
Unusual in resort
- The opening and the 24h of Les Menuires: To celebrate the opening of the ski season on December 8th, Les Menuires offers every year 24 hours of non-stop operation of the ski lifts! From 9 a.m. to midnight, raclettes and giant fondue will be served, accompanied by a festive atmosphere and concerts for an unforgettable weekend!
- If you have always loved making snowmen, why not register for the international snow sculpture competition organized by the Valloire resort? An event that usually takes place at the beginning of January to the delight of tourists and holidaymakers present.
- The pig festival in Saint Lary Soulan, which is organized every year at the end of January, is the perfect opportunity to taste the regional charcuterie during a friendly moment!
- The Outdoormix Winter Festival in Vars: Since 2018, this event mixes board sports, such as mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, international freestyle events and free concerts! The festival will start in the resort at the end of January.
- The Sauze Color at the resort of Sauze-Super-Sauze is inspired by the famous concept of the Parisian Color Run but adapted to the mountains! During this unusual event, skiers cross a course dotted with explosions of color.
- The Mer/Mountain Trophy is held at the resort of Saint-Gervais-Mont-Blanc. During 4 days of competition, teams composed of a mountaineer, a sailor and a child from the resort compete in sports and fun events. This trophy promotes sharing and conviviality between people from different universes.
- The Sybelles Optimist event at Le Corbier has been running every year since 2015. This unusual competition consists of sailing on an optimist, the famous sailboat, but on the snow! The winning team will be fully reimbursed for their stay!
- The unmissable Francofolies in Tignes. As in previous editions since 2016, the event offers three days of free concerts in the resort and on the slopes! An additional argument to stay in Tignes and enjoy a festive and warm atmosphere.
Book your next stay in one of the most beautiful French ski resorts
Each winter has a large number of events in store for you that have everything to allow you to spend an unforgettable stay! Whether you like the sliding sports aspect, the mountain culinary spirit or the unusual activities, you will not be disappointed! Enough to make your stay in the mountains even more unforgettable.
You will also like
Overview of the particularities of the five best French ski resorts: La Plagne, Val Thorens, Val d'Isère, Les Arcs and Tignes.
Selection of the best hotels with wellness facilities in the ski resorts of Tignes, Val Thorens, Val d'Isère, La Plagne...
The most luxurious ski resorts in France, where you can enjoy an unforgettable vacation on the snowy slopes.